Sunday, February 3, 2008

Real Time in the Classroom

I just finished my first week of teaching real lessons in English, Math, and Life Skills to grades 5-7. It was a full week. They are getting used to me and the way I do things, plus my "funny" English (apparently I speak from my throat, but I thought everyone...). That is one of the tough things about blazing your own trail (not replacing another volunteer), it takes time for things to become routine and familiar and for people to feel comfortable enough to participate.
I've learned that we must take baby steps and repetition, repetition, repetition.

Interesting things from class this week:
*Learners were taking off their shoes to soothe the cuts on their feet. It turns out that when you play in puddles during rainy season little snakes will bite your feet but the kids do it anyway. I'm sorry but you'll have to put your shoes back on.

*Kids take dust from the chalk board and pat it on their faces and lips. A few were even licking the chalk dust off of their fingers...why? No response.

*Grade 5 is just pleased to be with me and they giggle when I address them. They love that I stand at the door to say goodbye and I'm pretty sure that they want to reach out and touch me as their little hands come dangerously close to mine when waving goodbye.

Interesting things from home:
*The doors are still open. I can hear teeth being brushed, bodies being washed, and other bathroom business being taken care of.

*I am not eating meat at the moment because the naked animal part that was in our freezer grossed me out. Every day at break my host father looks at what I am eating and comments that a day without meat is like dying.

*I really wish people had more boundaries in this country. I know it's hot and it's usual for men to walk around their yards in boxers but I really wish my host father/principal would stop walking around with his shirt off.

2 comments:

Global Citizen said...

At least he is not walking around in his briefs. Saw that during cbt.was quite truamatizing actually..

Chris said...

it's mathS by the way and how do you survive a day without meat. I sometime find it hard to go more than 6 hours or so....