Friday, January 9, 2009

Sunrise in Swazi, Sunset in Mozam

Dec 24, 2008
We got up this morning at 5am to watch the sun rise. People were out tending the soil, children planting seeds and small boys walking the goats. It was simply beautiful.
After hiking a bit and getting our things together, our combi arrived and we headed down the mountain. Once in Simunye we took care of some business. While Amanda went into Shop Rite to get some snacks I sat with our bags just inside the Lewis furniture store. I was sitting with a female employee when a male employee came and sat with us. He immediately began asking me questions non-stop. He decided that he was falling for me about 3 questions in. Then after 3-4 more probing questions he decided he was in love with me. “Thank you”, I told him. I asked the lady what she would say if some random guy came at her full on like that. She said her reply would be the same. She couldn’t understand though I how I could expect to get through South Africa, Swaziland, Mozambique without getting a boyfriend. Actually, this is my last hour in Swazi and I had remained unattached. But since he was interested I began to ask probing questions too. I could not become his wife without knowing how much land he had, how many heads of cattle he owned, and whether he intended to take other wives. If he really wanted to marry me he would need to send 10 heads of cattle to my father. 10? Oh how about 5? Now I’m not worth it? You professed your love now money is making you think twice? I turned to the other lady while my suitor pondered my worth and asked what the standard bride price was in Swazi- 15 cattle! He was getting me at a discount and couldn’t even ante up. Thankfully Amanda returned to rescue me before I was engaged. Whew.

Dec 25, 2008
We got to Maputo, Mozambique last night. Once we crossed the border after a nerve wrecking hour of waiting to get a visa, we flagged down a car and got a lift into the city. We saw the sun rise in Swazi and watched it set in Mozambique. Seeing Maputo for the first time…there were billions of people, buildings crammed together, and tons of honking cars that seemed to have their own rules of the road. It was scary for me seeing as Namibia has 2 million people in the entire huge country. Our driver, Santos, really did turn out to be our Good Samaritan taking us to the bus depot then to find a hostel when we realized the bus at night was going to be a bad idea. He even let us use his cell phone to call our friend. We delivered us safely to Fatima’s. We had no reservation but there was camping available on the roof- that’s why we’d brought tents. We set up under a mango tree and then celebrated our arrival with a series of toasts, each time handing our various local beers to the right. (BTW, Laurentina stout is yummy with chocolate and espresso undertones.) Mostly we were glad to be alive and in a safe place.
Downstairs we met some PC Swazi volunteers and hit it off with them, planning to see them in a few days as we were all headed to Tofo.

No comments: