Monday, September 22, 2008

August 4, 2008
After a week of luxury (2 movies, ate in restaurants, internet and hot showers) it’s time to go back to the village. Transportation is always a major ordeal and you have to brace yourself for it. It’s good having a partner for this because I can easily talk myself out of it. It’s not the being in the village, it’s the getting there that I dread.
This time we have a plan: go to the grocery store, then pick up our packages down the street at the post office. From there we’ll take a taxi to the transport depot (called the hike point) and leave our things with the Venture (boxy SUV kind of vehicle) and go to the other grocery store. We’ll drop that stuff off and finally go have lunch before coming back for the long wait.
It worked! Praise God it didn’t seem as bad as usual. We also got to sit in the middle seat instead of the back seat (trust me, it’s bad) and with only 3 people instead of 4 (and not 2 huge people so that I still got squished). But this old dude has insisted that I put on my seat belt- a shocker here but I can dig it and I’m adamant about it in The States. Now he keeps checking my seat belt at every stop. Mind you I haven’t moved an inch. Is he drunk? Or does he just want to talk to us and doesn’t know what else to say?
Alright I’m home in one piece! From waiting to leave until getting here it’s only been 6 hours. What a glorious day…no, seriously.

No comments: