Monday, September 22, 2008

Oh The Leaners

August 5, 2008
An SMS conversation between myself and a PCV we will call “L”.

L: So…told a learner to get the f&%k out of my classroom this evening. I hate how they waltz in like they own the place and I’m not even there. I need a break.

Me: Oh man! Lol…break is coming sweetheart. I’m still under the weather after PC med- big surprise- so I just do my duty then camp out in my flat. They are children- they want attention and a reaction. Dunno if it’s better to give it so they know you care or remain cool so they learn that’s not the way?

L: Yeah my problem is that my flat is not a haven- no where I can go. I’m going to talk to PC. At least the kid was Grade 8, he’s probably 15. That’s always my question- how to deal with them? My mom recommended thinking about your reaction beforehand so you’re ready. But I don’t even know what I want my reaction to be!

Me: You gotta have some where to go. Wow, an 8th grade who’s only 15?

L: Actually I checked my register. He’s 14. I hardly believe it because his marks and attitude are so bad.

Me: Attitude’s bad because his marks are bad?

L: Or vice versa. He’s actually good natured just likes to be funny. Then again my smartest Grade 8 is 17.

Me: 17, they’ve had a chance to absorb it all. Best mark in Grade 6 is a kid who failed it last year.

No comments: