Monday, October 27, 2008

Integrating?

September 28, 2008

Me: I could be at home awaiting the birth of my niece, helping my sis and best bud plan their weddings and not wonder if I’ll be able to attend. Instead I’m here with kids who didn’t do their homework and who still haven’t memorized their times tables. Why am I here again?

G: Catherine…I just got the top half of your message. Am I getting ready to be incredibly sad because you’re going home? I didn’t get all of it, sorry.

(resend 1st sms)

G: I just did this thing with times tables. I made them memorize 2 sets a week and they built a paper banana split and each time they get the entire set correct they can add another piece to their split. It’s worked pretty well. Just a thought.
But yes, some days are really bad, some days good. Would it help if you left site more? I need to just get outta dodge at least twice a month, and I’m okay with it. Doing a school play right now which has been super fun.

Me: Times tables sounds interesting…they can make clock and every time they get a set correct they’ll more it forward five minutes. At the end whatever time they have on their clock can be used to play games. They love Connect Four and I may even pull out Operation.
Thanks G…you’ve got some good stuff yourself.

G: Hope it works. Good call with the clocks. Whoa, nice. I should let mine have game time. When do you all play?

Me: They choose a day after school and it’s an hour. Last time it was for those who got the highest class mark and exam mark and most improved class mark. They loved it. I want to reward them for academics. No more rewards for behavior, they’re supposed to be good anyway.

G: Ok, so it’s only a couple of kids at game time then? That sounds good. I am OVER my discipline problems right now. Need a 4 day weekend.

Me: Yes, 4 days should be the rule! Secondary project- lobby Parliament.

G: Word to that. I think PC should also hire a kid actor and he can pose as ‘the new kid’ at each school for a week, and we can fake whoop him so the other learners know that it’s a possibility .

Me: LOL! 2 boys (used to be 3) in grade 6 talk too much. At wits’ end this week I made them hold the chair over their heads for 10 minutes- added 5 more to one because he said something. We’ll see how next week is.

G: Ohh, maybe their arms will be sore and remind them to shut the ef up. I am totally ok with that. It is the only thing that works sometimes. Oh man, I sound Namibian.

Me: Hey, integration. Isn’t that like goal #3? We did it!

G: Ha. Yay! Now only a few more things to go…

No comments: