Monday, May 26, 2008

No Gas...Not A Good Thing

I think I may be one of the only people in my village who has a stove. The only fridge may also be located in my house. Sometimes I feel terrible about that. Should I be living more like the people around me? (Can you imagine that a stove and fridge are luxuries? And so is heat in the winter...no one else has a heater, they sit around a fire) The hostel where the kids stay cooks food over a fire...for about 200 kids.
When I left my village to come to my shopping town on Friday I found out my cooking gas had just quit on me (this is not piped in- ha ha ha- we have huge gas bottles connected to the stove and fridge). I may not get more until Wednesday at the earliest. I've been thinking of waiting to go back to my village until the gas is delivered by the Ministry of Education. Am I being ridiculous? Should I just learn how to cook over a fire? But I don't have fire wood or a pot for that. This is my life.

No comments: