Sunday, July 6, 2008

Another POV

June 8, 2008

I get it now. I understand now how teachers often ET (early termination). I see how teachers teach to the more clever kids and the slower learners get left behind. I know now how people become okay with missing school, lowering their work ethic and other standards. I understand now how teachers get immersed in a secondary project just to see some tangible results of their volunteer effort.
The kids don’t care. They’ll probably end up being farmers anyway so they go to school just because they have to. Their parents don’t encourage them because so many of them are uneducated and don’t know the advantages education can provide. Teachers rarely have time to check their individual work so why do more than the bare minimum? They only need 20% to pass so what’s the point in pushing themselves to do more than that?
Now I know what the volunteer at our training meant when he said, “It’s like triage.” At that point I couldn’t imagine leaving a learner behind. I can now. I’m giving my life to these kids but if they don’t make use of it how much more can I give to the complacent?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i read all of your blogs. they really bring your story alive...as much as you can. i am with you but i am not. please continue to keep me in your circle. xoxo, mj.