Sunday, July 6, 2008

I Conquered The Village...Not The Other Way Around

June 29, 2008

I have conquered the village. The village has not conquered me.
We have a well from which our water is extracted. It is piped into a huge tank. There is a pump/tank for the school and a different set for the surrounding community. At the school every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday our tank is filled, though there is no meter gauge when the tank is getting low.
So I’ve told you before how the water has gone off a couple or times over the weekends. It’s not usual so the first time it happened was a huge shock. Since then every Friday afternoon I fill 2 large pots with water just in case. I also have a 25L jug for emergencies. I always take a bath on Friday night and begin the necessary laundry (if the water goes off, it’s usually on Saturday morning).
It’s Sunday. By 11am I had (hand- as all “laundry” doing is) washed all the sheets, boiled rice, prepared meals for the week, and washed most of the dishes when it happened. The water went off. I didn’t panic. I didn’t get annoyed. I looked at my water pots and smiled. I thought of all my weekend accomplishments and felt a small surge of pride. I was productive and prepared.
CSR: 1
Village: 0 (this time)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello! I am a recent PC invitee headed to Namibia in November with my husband Caleb. I have a few questions that I would love to ask a female living in Namibia to help me prepare to pack. If you would be willing to email me and let me ask you a few questions I would be very appreciative. You can email me at calebandrachel@gmail.com.

Thank you!

Rachel Stephens