Sunday, December 14, 2008

Ur Not Serious...Oh But I am

December 4, 2008
We officially closed school today, tomorrow I will exit the village with the transport and be gone for the entire 6 week break! I’ve got my bags all packed. I’m even going to attend the End of Year party for the staff. (A note about me, I hate being stuck. I hate even feeling stuck. Even thinking about thinking about being stuck makes me uncomfortable.) I asked the secretary, since the party is at her family’s homestead, what time we’d go to the party. She said that we would leave at 4 and return around 7. I breathed a sigh of relief. It is not going to be one of those all day long affairs. I won’t feel stuck even though the party’s not in my village and I can’t drive and will have no choice in the matter. I’m looking forward to going and meeting her family.
At 4 we pile into the truck, with four people in the middle seat and things stacked high in the back. A 30 minute ride expands into an hour ride with all the turns (stops) we make. Finally we’re here! The first ones. Ms. Tjituka’s family is so nice. I’m offered a seat under the tree with the ladies. I look around and see that there is no food cooking. That’s strange. After what feels like 30 minutes but is probably only 10, the sisters begin cleaning the pots and the men begin slaughtering a sheep. They skin the sheep. They cut the sheep. Season it. Finally they begin to cook it. This is going to be a long day.
It was long 9 hours long from door to door. We didn’t leave there until midnight. Highlights of the event- the official opening with a prayer and a few words was at about 8pm. We ate- grilled sheep and macaroni salad. There was some dancing. There was lots of sitting around. The ladies did not really talk to me, even though I was sitting with them but then I moved because I didn’t really want to sit with them anyway. The younger sisters were cool. Finally we leave. I’m the second to be dropped at my door. I set my alarm for 4 since the transport leaves at 5:30.
I awoke with a start at 5:55. My mind is hazy. I throw open the door to the house. The village is empty. I hear no cars on the road. I put clothes on and run to the neighbor’s house. Please call the other transport guy and see if he is coming. He is. HALLELUJAH. I go back to my house and quickly gather everything even though I probably have about 30 minutes. I cannot miss this car. The gas on my fridge is out, I don’t really have enough food, everyone else is gone, and I imagine that the water will probably go off while I’m here too. The transport comes but I am still in a daze thinking of what could have been and how I am never going to another local party again. We hit the tar road. We’re in Gobabis and it only took 4 hours. My heart is pounding.
Bri sends an SMS. She is stuck just outside of town with a flat tire. This is our life.

No comments: