Sunday, February 22, 2009

Feeling Some Kinda Way

February 9, 2009

I got called “white” or “Boer” by one of the 5th graders. Another child in class reported it to me, which means it was a disrespectful thing. I had to ask the secretary what the word meant. She said I should send him to the principal. I did. Pretty sure he got a couple of whacks on the hand with a stick and was told to apologize. He came back all teary-eyed.
I reminded him of his name, Tjipumba, and that that is what I call him. He is allowed to call me Ms. Randle and nothing else. I thought of the sweets I had given him just this morning and how I let him borrow the soccer ball. Then I felt like a parent. You are trying to care for your kid and they act like this. Children are still learning how to reciprocate caring behavior and they act out with little forethought or consideration for others when they don’t get their way.
The strangest past was that I didn’t know how I felt. I still don’t.

No comments: